Getting tired of location

Location, location, location. That's all I read about these days on the internet. With the SXSW festival going on this week and every tech company under the sun launching new location features it's all starting to get a bit tiresome. Foursquare, Gowalla, Loopt, Twitter, Facebook and Google Buzz. Everyone is really banking on location being the next big step in social. Here's the thing though, right now 'checking in' seems so frivolous and silly. If I want people to know I'm going to be somewhere I'll tell them beforehand via email, text message or Facebook. I started using Foursquare this year and was checking in left and right at first, but now I hardly ever check in anywhere anymore except at Kellogg and Vision Quest (and that's just to defend my mayorships, which I know sounds dumb). Anyways, I know location will be the breakthrough product of this year's SXSW, but I wonder if that craze will really carry over into the general mainstream. Will 2010 be the year of location?

No comments:

Post a Comment