Shr.ty update

Bad news for my URL shortener service Shr.ty: the top level domain .ty doesn't exist! Now I'll have to think of another clever name for my service if I want to dominate the URL shortening game!

I also checked up on a couple possible addresses for Twitter's own in-house shortener. Twi.tr or Twitt.er would seem like appropriate names for this type of service; the .TR top level domain belongs to Turkey and the .ER top level domain belongs to Eritrea, a small country in Africa. Another option for Twitter is the address Twe.et. The .ET top level domain belongs to Ethiopia.

Although none of these top level domains currently offers commercial or vanity usage, I'm sure Twitter can negotiate with the registrars of each country to acquire an address. Bit.ly uses a Libyan domain and Goo.gl uses a Greenland domain, so it shouldn't be too hard for Twitter to secure a custom address for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment