Pandora stations

I'm really digging my Pandora stations lately. I have my stations pretty much right where I want them in terms of moods and musical styling. I have my "Damien Rice" station for studying, my "Radiohead" station for mellowing out and my "MGMT" station for rocking out. Over the past couple of months I've been actively tweaking the songs on each station via the basic 'thumbs up/down' functionality and now I finally have them in a good place where I don't have to 'thumbs down' too many songs.

I like the simple 'thumbs up/down' feature of Pandora, but at the same time I wish they had an advanced user mode for filtering songs. Sometimes I like a song but don't love it enough to give it a 'thumbs up'. Sometimes I really dislike a particular song from an artist I like but don't want to give it a 'thumbs down' because I'm afraid it might negatively impact the other songs from that artist. Sometimes I like an artist's older material but not their newer material, sometimes it’s the other way around. In each of those cases I feel that the basic 'thumbs up/down' feature just isn't enough. I wouldn't mind a 1-5 scale for ranking songs, or maybe an advanced filter to block out certain albums & songs from an artist. My geeky side actually just wants direct access to the Pandora algorithm, but I know that would probably be way too overwhelming for everyday use. Still, I wouldn't mind a 'smarter' Pandora. I might even be willing to pay extra for such features.

Random tidbits:
- MGMT Radio: I thought I liked Modest Mouse, but it turns out I don't. I've had to give a 'thumbs down' to a bunch of their songs lately.

- Damien Rice Radio: I really don't like Jack Johnson. I'm sorry, but all of his songs sound alike to me, and I really don't care for them. Pandora fed me a lot of Jack Johnson early on, but I think the algorithm has finally purged all of his songs from my station. I wish there was an "I don't like this Artist" button somewhere on Pandora for these types of situations.

- Damien Rice Radio: I was surprised to find out that I really like Ray LaMontagne. I had heard some of his songs before but I guess never in the right context. Ray's music is great for studying and relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment