New Evernote features and apps

A bunch of new Evernote features and add-ons have popped up recently that have caught my eye. The first couple items are built into the web browser and the last one is a standalone app from the Evernote Trunk that I'm trying out.



First up is Site Memory, a new feature from the Evernote team that allows website owners to add an Evernote button on their website. The button works just like ReTweet or Share button, except the user shares it right to their Evernote account. I don't see how this is much better than the existing Evernote button I have on my browser's toolbar, but it does give the site owner more control over how their web content is saved. The site owner can customize the data that is saved to add additional content or frame it in a different way. This is a new feature that was just added last month so I haven't seen it in use yet. It should be interesting to see what types of sites take advantage of this new feature, since there's not that much benefit to adding this button just for Evernote users. It's not like a Share button where you're offering your user a chance to share your content with his/her friends, which then brings in more traffic to your site.



Next is a cool Chrome extension called Simultaneous Search that allows you to search Evernote notes as you search on the web. This looks really useful and should allow you to really leverage your saved notes in your everyday routines. Right now to get any value out of my notes I have to actively pull up an Evernote client and search within it, but this new extension allows me to passively incorporate my saved notes into all my searches. Plus it should be a nice little shortcut for quickly searching saved notes. I use Firefox right now as my primary browser but this new Chrome extension might just be the push I need to switch to Chrome full time.

Next up is a note-taking/organizer app called Awesome Note that offers full syncing with your Evernote account. I just started playing around with the app this week (the free Lite version) and so far I like the To-Do list features and the calendar view for tasks. It has a much richer interface than the Evernote mobile app but it syncs with Evernote on the backend so that helps bring all my notes and whatnot together in a single location. I'm always on the lookout for new ways to improve my To-Do list process so I'm giving this app a shot for a couple of weeks to see how it delivers. There's a paid version of this app but for now I'll stick to the Lite version.

No comments:

Post a Comment