Mission Statement

So, I meant to write this first entry about a month ago. Then work and school got crazy, and I couldn't find any time to sit down and write entries into the blog. But anyways, that's not what this blog is about. This blog is about a conversation I had with someone a month ago.

I was talking to this person about what I wanted to do with my career. He is an older, more established business man who is much further along in his career than I am, so I thought it would be a good idea to press him for career advice. My career goal, I told him, was to move into an area I had vaguely titled "Technology in marketing, Marketing in technology". I'm still not quite sure what that means yet, but that's what I'm calling it for now.

His advice to me was simple. 'Make yourself an expert in this field'. I asked him how I could do that. He suggested I go out and write a blog, and make other people believe I'm an expert in technology and marketing. He cited an example of a friend who went out and wrote a blog about web development. As his blog started gaining readers he was often brought in for gigs where people treated him as an 'expert' in his field.

That got me thinking a bit. I am very interested into moving into the field of technology marketing, but I would hardly even call myself an expert right now. I'm interested in the actions and news of the big players, like Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Hulu, Microsoft, etc… but I'm more of a casual viewer right now, not a die hard fan. I'm intrigued by the direction all this technology will take us in, but I'm not sure if I have formed my own ideas and opinions of the direction where I think it will go in or should go in.

I'm like a casual 'Lost' viewer… the show is interesting to me and I'm curious to see how it will turn out... but I don't hit the message boards hard to see what other people think or maintain my own fan theory site.

Well, this will be my fan theory site. About technology and marketing, not about 'Lost'. Here I will write about technology trends and news, and try to analyze a bit and give my take on it. I will try to theorize on where I think the trend is going and where I think it should go. More importantly I will hold myself accountable to my career goals and work on establishing myself as an expert in my field.

Hopefully what I write will be fun and interesting. Even if I'm the only one reading it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment